Wednesday, December 7, 2011

project 7: Portrait

Portrait
Model: Canon PowerShot S3 IS
Date: 11/26/2011
Shutter speed: 1/320 sec
F-stop: f/4.0
ISO:
Focal length: 16.4 mm
Tripod: No
Cropping and levels

Portrait-
            Portraits can say a lot about a person. My goal was to take a portrait that captures the essence of an individual and their personality. So who should I take this picture of? I am pretty close with my siblings and so I decided that I would use my sister.  Growing up people have always told us that we look a lot alike but that always bothered my sister. I think that she just wanted the world to know that she is different and unique. My sister has a wild and crazy personality that is filled with colors. She is very funny but honest and if you cross her you will be sorry because she is strong and can hold her ground, attributing to her stubbornness. My sister likes to be different and although she wants to fit in she also wants people to remember who she is. One of my favorite things about my sister is her unique personality.  And that is what I wanted to capture.
            To try to capture the wildness and uniqueness of her personality I short portraits of my sister by the lake where we grew up.  I think that the rocks have many cool colors so we took the pictures in the rocks. I soon learned that taking portraits are a lot harder to take than I originally thought it would be. I tried many shots, shooting her in different poses and changing the setting in my camera. My goal was to find a pose that I thought would capture my sister’s personality and beauty. As I was trying different things my sister was starting to get frustrated as teenage girl get so I had to hope that I had captured her.
            As I was looking at the picture later to decide which one to pick, there were so many pictures that represented her and I had a hard time deciding which picture I liked and I of course wished that I had taken more pictures so that there would be something more magical than what I had shot. But I had to decide so I picked a few and started to edit them. The picture I choose best represents my sister because it shows off her sweet side, while also hinting that she has a darker side.

No comments:

Post a Comment